Friday, January 19, 2018

Mystery 'glawackus' once roamed Glastonbury

Posted on Sunday, 24 August, 2014 | Comment icon 15 comments

Could the beast have been a panther ? Image Credit: CC BY-SA 3.0 Rute Martins
Back in the 1930s a terrifying creature was widely reported to be prowling the wilds of Great Britain.
Best known these days for its popular music festival, Glastonbury was once home to a legendary creature known as the "Glastonbury Glawackus", a large dog-like beast with a face like that of a feline.

Stories of the creature told of a mysterious "blood-curdling yell" heard by locals during the early hours of the morning and the discovery of livestock that had been killed and mutilated by an unknown attacker.

Interest in the legend reached fever pitch back in 1939 when, during a particularly snowy winter, a hunting party decided to take it upon themselves to venture out in to the wilds in an effort to track the beast down. A map was published in a local newspaper showing where the creature had struck.

The men failed to find anything, but later that year another group managed to shoot and kill a large brown dog that they had come across while out hunting. The press subsequently declared that the creature "was no more" and from that point on the sightings came to an end.

It isn't clear what the beast had been exactly as many of the reports had described animals very different to the dog that was killed. Some speculated that it had been a mountain lion that escaped from a nearby zoo while a black panther or lynx were also suggested as possibilities.

"It relieved the monotony of a dreary winter," wrote one newspaper editor at the time. "It got any number of ordinarily slothful individuals into the open air... Now it is dead, but if one knows Glastonbury, it will rise again. It was too useful to remain long buried."

Source: Courant.com | Comments (15)

Tags: Glastonbury, Glawackus

Comment icon #6 Posted by Stubbly_Dooright on 24 August, 2014, 10:41
Brown Jenkin. I hadn't seen that either. Wait a minute, I'm wrong. I do have a memory of seeing that a couple of times. At my front door. Blind dates. You know, come to think of it, there were times at night, I would hear sounds of pounding footsteps going up and down our back yard hill. Could never understand what it was. Naaahhhhhhhhh.
Comment icon #7 Posted by Stubbly_Dooright on 24 August, 2014, 13:06
Still Waters, I'm confused. Is this talking about Glastonbury, England, or Glastonbury ct. USA? Because on another part of this site, it's talking about Glastonbury England. This thread links it to Glastonbury Connecticut. Funny thing is, I read this article days prior to this thread, and it shows the map of the connecticut town. Yet, it makes sense it refers to the English town, because like I said before, growing up in Connecticut, never heard about this urban myth, and I have heard all the urban myths linked to this town.
Comment icon #8 Posted by keithisco on 24 August, 2014, 14:18
Glastonbury, Ct.
Comment icon #9 Posted by John Wesley Boyd on 24 August, 2014, 16:08
I hadn't seen that either. Wait a minute, I'm wrong. I do have a memory of seeing that a couple of times. At my front door. Blind dates. You know, come to think of it, there were times at night, I would hear sounds of pounding footsteps going up and down our back yard hill. Could never understand what it was. Naaahhhhhhhhh. That was a shoggoth.
Comment icon #10 Posted by MyOtherAccount on 24 August, 2014, 19:00
I think I've seen a Glawackus while hiking once? Was it carrying a nap-sack and walking pole? ;-)
Comment icon #11 Posted by MyOtherAccount on 24 August, 2014, 19:00
They were serious about the hunt, weren't they! Eleven hunters, two of them cops; two hunting dogs; and four riffles. Finding a huge dog wouldn't seem very heroic and anti-climatic, probably lessened the chances of it becoming a folk hero legend. The writer is a good story teller isn't he. Two postings? How did that happen? Strange... I guess I will use both independently somehow.
Comment icon #12 Posted by Stubbly_Dooright on 24 August, 2014, 22:50
I thought it was Ct. Good Gawd! I think that was in the back yard where I grew up. Or it could be where there is a plaza, fire dept. and mini mart stands now. So that's why some dogs were vicious to me. It was in the air!
Comment icon #13 Posted by Tsuchinoko on 7 September, 2014, 19:21
Since almost every continent contains at least one species of big cats, it's very possible that there is an undiscovered species in Britain.
Comment icon #14 Posted by Red Howler on 8 September, 2014, 16:06
Mystery big cat struck there, but these aren't just loosened animals that ran away from zoos. These type of animals are supernatural, but physical beasts that can feed and make loud noises. They belong to a different dimension.
Comment icon #15 Posted by quiXilver on 9 September, 2014, 3:42
while I've never Glawackused myself or anyone knowingly... I may have inadvertently been Glawackused frottage style on a city bus once in NYC...

Saturn's moon Titan has its own sea level
1-19-2018
Just like the oceans here on Earth, Titan's hydrocarbon seas and lakes lie at an average elevation.
'Haunted' painting has sold in New Zealand
1-19-2018
An acrylic painting purchased from an antique store has earned itself something of a haunted reputation.
Mini nuclear reactors could be used on Mars
1-19-2018
The Kilopower project has developed a type of miniature nuclear fission reactor for use on other worlds.
Drone saves swimmers in world-first rescue
1-18-2018
A new lifesaving drone has already proven its worth after rescuing two swimmers off the coast of Australia.
Brian Cox talks to Buzz Aldrin
Posted 1-18-2018 | 1 comment
Professor Brian Cox discusses space travel with legendary astronaut Buzz Aldrin.

Typing vs handwriting
Posted 1-16-2018 | 2 comments
Is typing on a computer better or worse for your memory then writing on paper ?

Can coding help avoid job automation ?
Posted 1-12-2018 | 0 comments
Taking up coding and technical skills to avoid automation may be counter-productive.

Dinosaur death match
Posted 1-8-2018 | 0 comments
A look at how various dinosaurs might have fared against the predators of their day.

Best records of 2017
Posted 1-4-2018 | 0 comments
A look back at some of the most bizarre and amazing world records of the last year.

Strange feeling
1-18-2018 | Different places

Unexplained voices
1-18-2018 | United States

First college apartment
12-31-2017 | Daytona Beach, FL

The night my niece was murdered
12-19-2017 | Delhi, Louisiana

Mysterious Headlights
12-10-2017 | Morgan County, Alabama

Possibly a child ghost
12-10-2017 | Edgewater, Maryland

True story about black-eyed kids
12-10-2017 | Portland oregon

Alien or paranormal encounter ?
12-10-2017 | United States