Friday, April 19, 2019

Silver pill-shaped UFO filmed near Greensboro

Posted on Friday, 1 February, 2019 | Comment icon 134 comments

Is this a balloon, or something else ? Image Credit: YouTube / spacebret
Wildlife enthusiast Bret Jones had been out filming birds when he noticed something unusual in the sky.
Jones had been just outside Greensboro, North Carolina on Saturday, January 25th when he caught sight of what he initially believed to be a flashing light out of the corner of his eye.

"I just saw this flash in the corner of my vision," he said. "I look over and there's a plane and I saw the flash again, but it was just near it."

"I already had my camera strapped to me and I started trying to capture it."

"I told my wife I just saw a UFO and she said 'oh yeah, again?' but then I look at the video and scroll and I was just like I have no idea what that is!"

It turned out that the object he had captured on film wasn't simply a flashing light but a strange silver cylindrical object that seemed to spin around as it flew through the air.

While some have suggested that it could be a balloon, Jones remains unconvinced.

"If I see evidence that it's indisputable for me that it would be balloon then yeah I would say it's just a balloon," he said. "But after 10 seconds, I couldn't see it in the sky anywhere."

"Why would a balloon, if it was just twisting around, why wouldn't I see it again ?"

The object can be viewed in the video below from the 1:50s mark.

Source: Spectrum Local News | Comments (134)

Tags: UFO

Comment icon #125 Posted by spacebret on 12 February, 2019, 7:22
I never claimed to know an exact distance. I am not back peddling at all about the distance of the object. In fact if you watched my follow up video it discusses why I cannot know the distance of the object. I claim that†it appears to be at least a mile away based on certain factors, and I make multiple assumptions to show different distances and scales to provide healthy information as to the size of the object at a certain distance. If you think me pointing out that the hyperfocal distance can also have some sharpness†on something half the distance of†the hyperfocal distance is an important ... [More]
Comment icon #126 Posted by spacebret on 12 February, 2019, 7:26
Most aircraft I see are beyond that hyperfocal distance and it becomes impossible to judge the distance with my setup.† Edit: In fact it becomes impossible to judge the distance of objects past about 100 meters with my set up because the metadata becomes completely unreliable past that distance.† Edit2:†Just to clarify,†hyperfocal distance with the same set up as the video with the object means†anywhere from 5950 feet to infinity feet. If I say the object is near that distance it means it could be anywhere in that range. Also it can have some sharpness at 2975 feet. Hyperfocal just means the l... [More]
Comment icon #127 Posted by onlookerofmayhem on 12 February, 2019, 8:21
@spacebret Not sure if it's your auto correct or what, but just to let you know : This is just a PSA. Take no offense.
Comment icon #128 Posted by spacebret on 12 February, 2019, 8:26
Thank you! Grammar is not my strong suit.
Comment icon #129 Posted by the13bats on 12 February, 2019, 9:16
Aw man, we have beaten the p*** outta this poor soul over his lack of photography skills and the blurry crappy image and hes been for the most part enduring and talk about low blow now we slam his spelling but perhaps in this case "mute" point does fit
Comment icon #130 Posted by ChrLzs on 13 February, 2019, 21:37
I still don't have time for all this just now, but I have to ask... Yes.† But it's more complicated than that...† Like I said, I'll be back, but regarding one issue... Can you explain exactly what you mean by metadata, in this comment?† Are you getting metadata off each individual video frame (if so, please show us the data for the frame in question).† If not, can you list off the actual metadata you used, and also†show us the equation (or the address of the website calculator) and thus the full calculation you made..? In particular: ?† You said autofocus was on....?† So what focal distance wa... [More]
Comment icon #131 Posted by spacebret on 14 February, 2019, 0:34
@ChrLzs†Since filming the object I discovered raw files have metadata that can show distance of the focal plane. †I figured I†could do a series of test shots and then attempt to recreate the shot using the same settings, and approximate the bokeh in manual focus as close as I could to tell the distance. I discovered two things while doing this. 1. The distance shown in the metadata for these raw image tests, focusing on planes, stars or the moon far away, gave me very strange numbers. It could†say a little over a†hundred meters away or infinity distance away. I took this to mean it was complet... [More]
Comment icon #132 Posted by ChrLzs on 14 February, 2019, 5:53
????† Quote of the week.... Please read the following and try to understand it - hyperfocal distance is "the distance between a camera lens and the closest sharply focused object with the lens focused at infinity". It is simply used as a guide to the depth of field in which objects are in focus, given a focal length (ie zoom setting)†and an aperture setting and the lens set at infinity.† It can be used at other distances, but you must know what distance the lens is focused at, and you must have a sensible way of determining what is 'sharp'..† It is NOT generally used as a way to determine dist... [More]
Comment icon #133 Posted by spacebret on 14 February, 2019, 7:04
I think you are completely misunderstanding what hyperfocal distance means and why it is relevant. The hyperfocal distance will not change if you decide to focus at a different distance. That is why it does not matter what distance the lens focuses at. If I am wrong please correct me, but what you have said in no way negates any of my points. Edit: Also, to claim my camera is certainly not focused at infinity when it is focused on the object is making a big assumption. There is no way to know if it is or not. It can only be assumed, and assuming it definitely is not is a bigger assumption than... [More]
Comment icon #134 Posted by the13bats on 14 February, 2019, 7:12
Not trying to stir the ant hill but besides learning a little photography tech this doesnt really matter in this case, Doesnt matter to me if it's 2ft 10ft or 20ft its not evidence

What are great white sharks frightened of ?
4-18-2019
Despite their fearsome reputation, these monster sharks will always try to steer clear of one particular creature.
Scientists revive pig brains hours after death
4-18-2019
A recent experiment has called in to question our understanding of when a person's brain has truly 'died'.
'Image of Jesus' spotted in Notre Dame fire
4-18-2019
Some witnesses to the recent devastating fire believe that they've seen something otherworldly in the flames.
10 robotic dogs pull truck along in new video
4-17-2019
A small army of Boston Dynamics' dog-like robots have been filmed hauling a truck through a parking lot.
Cannon made from 50,000 matches
Posted 4-7-2019 | 4 comments
What happens if you light a cannon made out of 50,000 matches ?

Latin America's most dangerous snake
Posted 3-24-2019 | 1 comment
Coyote Peterson comes face to face with an extremely dangerous reptile.

Squaring a doughnut
Posted 3-12-2019 | 1 comment
Michael returns with another mind-bending problem - this time concerning squares.

Shells of cosmic time
Posted 3-3-2019 | 0 comments
A look at how observations of distant objects enable us to see back in time.

Thailand's snake village
Posted 2-26-2019 | 2 comments
Steve Backshall visits a village where the inhabitants live alongside dangerous snakes.

Winter solstice hooded figures