Tuesday, April 20, 2021
  Bizarre

Man gets drunk on cake due to weird condition

Posted on Monday, 11 January, 2021 | Comment icon 5 comments

Imagine if cake could get you drunk... Image Credit: CC BY 2.0 Phil Parker
62-year-old Nick Carson suffers from a rare condition that turns carbohydrates directly into alcohol.
Some people are known to have a so-called 'sweet tooth' due to their penchant for cakes, chocolates and other treats, but for Carson - a former business owner from Suffolk, England - eating anything rich in carbohydrates can make him literally drunk because his body turns them into alcohol.

Known as auto brewery syndrome (ABS), the condition means that he can become blind drunk within a matter of minutes just from eating cakes and biscuits.

He is now forced to take a breathalyzer device everywhere he goes.

It is believed that his condition was caused by chemicals he was exposed to 20 years ago.
"I've basically become an involuntary alcoholic because this condition makes you one, whether you want to be or not," he said. "Having a little bit of sugar or carbohydrates can quickly make me become drunk. I try to stick to a Keto-based diet but it's hard because there are carbs in all sorts of foods."

"I can go from being stone cold sober to being three times over the driving limit in a matter of minutes which is quite scary. The effect isn't pleasant and I have sections of my memory where I have no idea what I've done. I just talk rubbish and walk around in circles."

Fortunately his wife has been extremely supportive and is helping him to cope with the condition.

"I hope that sharing my story will help people become more knowledgeable about ABS," he said.

Source: Lad Bible | Comments (5)

Tags: Alcohol

Comment icon #1 Posted by third_eye on 11 January, 2021, 15:35
"Let there be cake... " ~
Comment icon #2 Posted by jethrofloyd on 11 January, 2021, 15:55
He is an cakeholic.
Comment icon #3 Posted by OverSword on 11 January, 2021, 16:06
I'll bet you don't want to be within 10 meters of this guy when he's farting. That sounds like a really disgusting condition.
Comment icon #4 Posted by moonman on 11 January, 2021, 17:02
I don't understand how his body can turn carbs into that much alcohol so fast. It takes beer days to ferment, the few hours the carbs sit in his gut doesn't seem like enough time. Keto diet for him I guess, not a difficult fix.
Comment icon #5 Posted by Dynamo X on 11 January, 2021, 19:12
The trouble is that this can become an addiction. For example, unusually, some people are addicted to cats. Take the Pope for instance, I've heard that he's a Cataholic

Mars helicopter makes historic first flight
4-19-2021
NASA has made history today by achieving the first ever powered, controlled flight on another world.
Could this be the Rendlesham Forest UFO ?
4-19-2021
A UFO photograph has emerged that was taken near RAF Woodbridge on the night of December 24th, 1980.
What happens if you die during a trip to Mars ?
4-18-2021
It hasn't happened yet, but it is inevitable that one day, someone will die during a mission in deep space.
Woman is planning to marry a chandelier
4-18-2021
Amanda Liberty, who previously had a relationship with a drum kit, now intends to marry a chandelier.
The voice of something not human
11-17-2020 | Baldwin Hills, Los Angeles

Shadow figure demon ?
11-14-2020 | USA

Ghost following me
9-18-2020 | Iowa

Mysterious glowing cube
8-23-2020 | Alabama

Black blob in my room/bed
7-23-2020 | Powell,TN U.S.

Transparent levitating ball