Wednesday, January 29, 2020
Have you ever lived in a haunted house, spotted a UFO, captured something unusual on camera or otherwise had a brush with the mysterious ? If so then we want to hear from you - please send us your story and we will feature it in our new Stories & Experiences section.

I accidentally called myself ?

Posted on 9-28-2019 | Comment icon 6 comments

By: MysteryMint | Location: United States

Image Credit: PD - USMC
I often experience weird phenomenons but this one still remains to me unexplained. Maybe someone can tell me what happened? This happened about eight years ago..

In high school each classroom had a telephone that could receive a call from any other room in school as long as that room had a telephone too.

One day during lunch hour, I was inside my art classroom waiting for a call from the office. I was growing impatient so I picked up the phone and tried calling the office instead.

The phones ALWAYS worked, but this time I just heard static. I waited to hear the secretary, but just heard more static so I said, "Hello?" Still nothing. I suddenly got embarrassed and said "Sorry wrong number!" Then I hung up.

Not even a second later the phone rang. I thought it was the office calling to yell at me because it sounded like a student was playing a prank on them.

What I heard instead still confuses me.

I picked up the phone ready to apologize but instead I heard Static.

Before I could say anything I heard someone say in an all too SIMILAR voice, "Hello?" Then more static and breathing.
I couldn't say anything I just froze.

There was more static, and then they said, "Sorry wrong number!" then hung up.

Did the school secretary play a prank on me?

Did someone else call me?

Was that a phone call recording of myself that was played back?

Did I somehow manage to call into the future?

Why did they sound just like me and say the same thing?

Who did I call instead?

I'll never know.

Comments (6)

<< Previous story
Giant wolf in my basement
Next story >>
Devil man in a suit

Comment icon #1 Posted by papageorge1 on 28 September, 2019, 15:19
Well, there could be a technical reason for what happened like a recorded playback or something. On another forum I hear plenty of 'glitch in the matrix' stories where the universe does things that do not fit into our normal linear understanding of time and action. Could your anxiety over waiting for the call prompted something like that? I am one that thinks reality is consciousness created (as opposed to physically created) so my theory opens a universe of possibilities for the unexpected.
Comment icon #2 Posted by Thereisnopie on 4 October, 2019, 18:47
Sounds like a recording got played back. I?ve had this happen to me before on older land lines, multiple times actually.
Comment icon #3 Posted by and then on 4 October, 2019, 19:30
I can remember dialing my own number intentionally, back in the day.  It actually went through and made the phone ring.  That was in the 60s though...
Comment icon #4 Posted by Desertrat56 on 4 October, 2019, 19:51
You must have had a party line.
Comment icon #5 Posted by the13bats on 16 October, 2019, 5:58
Sorry, when gadgets like phones are involved i expect all kinds of odd things are possible, weird, odd, not paranormal,
Comment icon #6 Posted by Chaldon on 5 November, 2019, 20:44
Well, that was a local phone line. There shouldn't be anything more complex behind than a mini-PBX system, like Panasonic KX-TEB (which I have in my house). The communication unit of these is always analogue, just a bunch of relays, and call recording is usually an optional add-on. I don't imagine anything more complex in a high school 8 years ago. So, frankly I don't know. Sounds more like a prank to me. Or indeed a call from the minute ago.

Dog and Jamaican statue
1-10-2020 | Canada

Life changing experience
12-19-2019 | Australia

Unexplained smoke or fog
12-19-2019 | West Texas, USA

He came in the night
12-19-2019 | CA

My reptilian encounter
11-24-2019 | Ireland and Australia

The day I found out I am immortal
11-24-2019 | Hialeah

Recent activity in my home
11-24-2019 | Kansas City, MO USA