Tuesday, January 21, 2020
Have you ever lived in a haunted house, spotted a UFO, captured something unusual on camera or otherwise had a brush with the mysterious ? If so then we want to hear from you - please send us your story and we will feature it in our new Stories & Experiences section.

Dog and Jamaican statue

Posted on 1-10-2020 | Comment icon 6 comments

By: Kate21 | Location: Canada

Image Credit: sxc.hu
I bought a wooden statue of what appears to be a priest when I was in Jamaica in 2013. A few days after placing this statue on a table my dog Molly developed an almost obsessive interest in this statue sniffing it and looking at it, etc.

Eventually I removed the statue and put it out of sight to avoid this issue with Molly. She doesn't seem to fear the statue but she is very tentative around it sniffing it a few inches away but not putting her noise on it.
She approaches it carefully extending her head towards it but leaving her body back.

Throughout this initial period of time I had cleaned the statue several times but it did not seem to deter Molly's behaviour. So I put the statue away after a few months and about a year ago took it out again and placed it where Molly cannot reach it but she can see it and her behaviour resumed immediately.

I'm wondering if anyone has any thoughts on this. I've researched this on animal behaviour sites but no answer there. Does anyone think this is spiritual and if so should I dispose of this statue. Many thanks

Comments (6)

Comment icon #1 Posted by Still Waters on 10 January, 2020, 14:42
Interesting story. I wonder if your dog recognises the statue from somewhere, did she have a previous owner before you? If she did perhaps her owner had the same statue, just a thought.
Comment icon #2 Posted by Not A Rockstar on 10 January, 2020, 16:20
Re your question about if it is spiritual or not, that would be hard to say for anyone at distance, and for me isn't relevant to the issue anyway. If it bothers my dogs and is not something I care about - it goes out. Something is off with it, be it the resins rubbed into it or something at the least and they share my home, too. I'd toss it out, myself, for that reason, not spiritual. But, if you are wanting to keep it, and seriously are worried about some presence to it, then get some holy water from a church (not a store bought bottle) and wash it in that. If it still weirds your dog out, tr... [More]
Comment icon #3 Posted by moonman on 10 January, 2020, 16:51
The statue might just smell skunky since it's from Jamaica  (you know, because of the whole weed religion thing they have) - and it's a porous wood religious item. I AM NOT IMPLYING JAMAICANS SMELL BAD. Think about it. What smells skunky? Apparently that isn't obvious to some.
Comment icon #4 Posted by Desertrat56 on 10 January, 2020, 17:11
I think there is a smell that is triggering the dogs reaction.  Dogs have better ability to smell than to see, and though they react to things they see, it is smell that is more important to them.  I would see if the statue seems hollow, maybe there is something inside it, or if it is wooden the oil used to finish it might have a smell that the dog is bothered by.
Comment icon #5 Posted by Dustyrose33 on 12 January, 2020, 21:05
Interesting story, dogs are able to sense things that humans cannot or it could be the smell of the material the statue is made from.   If you have any uneasy vibes about the statue you could have it blessed or simply dispose of it.
Comment icon #6 Posted by Piney on 12 January, 2020, 22:00
I think it's something in the wood.

Dog and Jamaican statue
1-10-2020 | Canada

Life changing experience
12-19-2019 | Australia

Unexplained smoke or fog
12-19-2019 | West Texas, USA

He came in the night
12-19-2019 | CA

My reptilian encounter
11-24-2019 | Ireland and Australia

The day I found out I am immortal
11-24-2019 | Hialeah

Recent activity in my home
11-24-2019 | Kansas City, MO USA