Friday, October 31, 2014   |   4,269 users online
    Home  ·  News  ·  Forum  ·  Stories  ·  Image Gallery  ·  Columns  ·  Encyclopedia  ·  Videos  ·  Chat

Man turns green after eating too many snails

Posted on Friday, 20 September, 2013 | Comment icon 18 comments

Snails are a popular delicacy in some countries. Image Credit: CC BY-SA 3.0 J. Patrick Fischer

A man in China with a fondness for snails ended up being hospitalized after his skin turned green.

The 24-year-old had started to experience sharp abdominal pains but didn't think too much off it until his skin and eyes started to turn a strange green color. He visited several hospitals but wasn't diagnosed properly until going to the Aerospace Hospital in Guizhou.

"Usually I like to eat fried river snails, especially in the past few months, where I've been eating one plate every night," he said. Doctors investigating his condition were able to determine that he had become infected by parasitic flatworms that are found in the river from which he had been catching the molluscs.

The worms had set up home inside his liver where their presence was responsible for his skin turning green through the build-up of bilirubin, a yellow pigment in the body. "I was scared of my own reflection, I looked like The Incredible Hulk," he said.

Doctors were able to surgically remove the worms and it is hoped that the man will now go on to make a full recovery.

Source: Asia One | Comments (18)

Tags: Snail, China

Comment icon #9 Posted by Aggie on 20 September, 2013, 17:39
Snails, when cleaned and cooked properly, are delicious and very healthy: pure protein and zero fat.
Comment icon #10 Posted by brlesq1 on 20 September, 2013, 18:53
It's not easy being green...Kermit will tell you that.
Comment icon #11 Posted by MrPringle on 20 September, 2013, 19:11
He should have cooked the snails properly especially when they are bottom feeders. I would keep them for a week or more and feed them a clean diet before eating them. You never know what they have been eating.
Comment icon #12 Posted by supervike on 20 September, 2013, 20:09
I knew there was a joke in there someplace....You certainly found it!
Comment icon #13 Posted by Sundew on 20 September, 2013, 22:20
Snails are ok, but they kind of taste like dirt smells, or they have so much garlic piled on them you can't taste them. For mollusks, give me squid any day, followed by clams and oysters. For snails, I'll take fresh conch! Mmmmmm! Now there's a snail!
Comment icon #14 Posted by moonshadow60 on 21 September, 2013, 20:42
I'm sorry, but just looking at that plate of snails made me turn green.
Comment icon #15 Posted by little_dreamer on 21 September, 2013, 20:57
I didn't realize snails had to be cleaned before you cook them. The only snail-type of food I've eaten is conch fritters years ago. Never had escargot.
Comment icon #16 Posted by SkepticalB on 21 September, 2013, 22:23
Are we 100 percent sure he wasn't a radiologist who started getting angry?
Comment icon #17 Posted by Garibaldi on 23 September, 2013, 23:18
what? you got me all wrong,..it was just an answer to whoever was disgusted about eating snails... in my country ( Portugal) its tradition...just that...
Comment icon #18 Posted by Garibaldi on 23 September, 2013, 23:20
there is preparation before they can be eatable...

Hotel hauntings