Saturday, March 28, 2015   |   5,978 users online
    Home  ·  News  ·  Forum  ·  Stories  ·  Image Gallery  ·  Columns  ·  Encyclopedia  ·  Videos  ·  Chat

Archaeological treasures found on Dartmoor

Posted on Tuesday, 11 February, 2014 | Comment icon 7 comments

Looking out across the moor. Image Credit: CC BY-SA 3.0 Herbythyme

Jewellery, animal pelts and amber beads are among the finds retrieved from a 4,000-year-old tomb.

Considered by archaeologists to be the most significant discovery ever made on the moor, the chamber ( or "cist" ) on Whitehorse Hill was opened to reveal a remarkably well-preserved burial of cremated remains.

Wrapped in an animal pelt, the remains contained a number of artifacts including textiles, a coiled bag and a bracelet with tin beads, only 8 of which have been found on Dartmoor within the last century.

"Visibly it's not as impressive as Stonehenge, but archaeologically it's just as important," said chief archaeologist Jane Marchand.

Researchers are now awaiting DNA test results to find out what animal the pelts had come from.

Source: BBC News | Comments (7)

Tags: Dartmoor

Comment icon #1 Posted by DumpsterJesus on 11 February, 2014, 12:55
When I first read the quoted section, I thought it said 'on the moon' not 'on the moor'. I thought to myself "Wait... WHAT?!" Thank goodness I did a double take. It's too early for me to be reading things.
Comment icon #2 Posted by moonshadow60 on 11 February, 2014, 13:00
Amazing! It is in a part of England that is dear to me, although I will never see it in person. My father's mother grew up in the south of Devon.
Comment icon #3 Posted by davros of skaro on 11 February, 2014, 13:38
Untainted goodies...Yay!
Comment icon #4 Posted by GreenmansGod on 11 February, 2014, 15:40
I wish there was a link with more pictures.
Comment icon #5 Posted by Zaranne on 12 February, 2014, 19:22
Jewellery...someone REALLY need to learn how to spell...
Comment icon #6 Posted by Eldorado on 12 February, 2014, 23:02
tsk tsk The different spellings of jewellery in British and American English can cause confusion. The British spelling jewellery adds -lery to jewel, while the American spellinɡ jewelry adds -ry.
Comment icon #7 Posted by Eldorado on 27 February, 2014, 16:24
Short Video Pics

Other recent forum topics
Forum icon
A stranger in the night
2-11-2015 | United states

A Connecticut haunting
12-15-2014 | New Milford, Connecticut

Luminous UFO in Scotland.
12-2-2014 | Black Loch, Limerigg, Scotland