Wednesday, August 31, 2016

Archaeological treasures found on Dartmoor

Posted on Tuesday, 11 February, 2014 | Comment icon 7 comments

Looking out across the moor. Image Credit: CC BY-SA 3.0 Herbythyme
Jewellery, animal pelts and amber beads are among the finds retrieved from a 4,000-year-old tomb.
Considered by archaeologists to be the most significant discovery ever made on the moor, the chamber ( or "cist" ) on Whitehorse Hill was opened to reveal a remarkably well-preserved burial of cremated remains.

Wrapped in an animal pelt, the remains contained a number of artifacts including textiles, a coiled bag and a bracelet with tin beads, only 8 of which have been found on Dartmoor within the last century.

"Visibly it's not as impressive as Stonehenge, but archaeologically it's just as important," said chief archaeologist Jane Marchand.

Researchers are now awaiting DNA test results to find out what animal the pelts had come from.

Source: BBC News | Comments (7)

Tags: Dartmoor

Comment icon #1 Posted by DumpsterJesus on 11 February, 2014, 12:55
When I first read the quoted section, I thought it said 'on the moon' not 'on the moor'. I thought to myself "Wait... WHAT?!" Thank goodness I did a double take. It's too early for me to be reading things.
Comment icon #2 Posted by moonshadow60 on 11 February, 2014, 13:00
Amazing! It is in a part of England that is dear to me, although I will never see it in person. My father's mother grew up in the south of Devon.
Comment icon #3 Posted by davros of skaro on 11 February, 2014, 13:38
Untainted goodies...Yay!
Comment icon #4 Posted by GreenmansGod on 11 February, 2014, 15:40
I wish there was a link with more pictures.
Comment icon #5 Posted by Zaranne on 12 February, 2014, 19:22
Jewellery...someone REALLY need to learn how to spell...
Comment icon #6 Posted by Eldorado on 12 February, 2014, 23:02
Jewellery...someone REALLY need to learn how to spell... tsk tsk The different spellings of jewellery in British and American English can cause confusion. The British spelling jewellery adds -lery to jewel, while the American spellin? jewelry adds -ry. http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/jewellery
Comment icon #7 Posted by Eldorado on 27 February, 2014, 16:24
I wish there was a link with more pictures. Short Video http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-devon-21442474 Pics http://www.megalithic.co.uk/article.php?sid=29778

162081

Spirituality, Religion and Beliefs
  Why I reject karma and reincarnation
  sikhs
  Why do you Believe?
 Cryptozoology, Myths and Legends
  Patty size comparison
  Size limitations
  I thought it was time for another of these
Is Earth vulnerable to mini black holes ?
8-30-2016
The universe could be filled with primordial black holes which pass through us once every 1,000 years.
SETI is investigating 'interesting' signal
8-30-2016
Astronomers are attempting to determine the nature of a strange signal picked up by a Russian telescope.
Three waterspouts show up in Qinghai Lake
8-30-2016
The breathtaking spectacle saw three waterspouts appearing at the same time above a lake in China.
Did ancient hominin 'Lucy' fall from a tree ?
8-29-2016
Scientists believe that an early human ancestor discovered 40 years ago died after falling out of a tree.
Does acupuncture actually work ?
Posted 8-30-2016 | 11 comments
Acupuncture has been practiced for thousands of years, but does it even work ?

World's largest diamond
Posted 8-29-2016 | 2 comments
Lesedi la Rona is the single largest diamond on the planet and is worth at least $50 million.

The useless machine
Posted 8-28-2016 | 0 comments
Jason encounters a strange, irritating and utterly useless Lego device.

Golden ring eyes
8-29-2016 | USA

Shared grief experience
8-29-2016 | Scotland, UK

Sleep paralysis and leaving body
8-29-2016 | California

The pecking
8-29-2016 | Wisconsin

Old lady in my dream
8-29-2016 | California

Communication with an orb
8-4-2016 | California

Unexplained noise and mist
8-4-2016 | United Kingdom

Lights dancing in the evening sky
8-4-2016 | Washington