Monday, August 21, 2017

Archaeological treasures found on Dartmoor

Posted on Tuesday, 11 February, 2014 | Comment icon 7 comments

Looking out across the moor. Image Credit: CC BY-SA 3.0 Herbythyme
Jewellery, animal pelts and amber beads are among the finds retrieved from a 4,000-year-old tomb.
Considered by archaeologists to be the most significant discovery ever made on the moor, the chamber ( or "cist" ) on Whitehorse Hill was opened to reveal a remarkably well-preserved burial of cremated remains.

Wrapped in an animal pelt, the remains contained a number of artifacts including textiles, a coiled bag and a bracelet with tin beads, only 8 of which have been found on Dartmoor within the last century.

"Visibly it's not as impressive as Stonehenge, but archaeologically it's just as important," said chief archaeologist Jane Marchand.

Researchers are now awaiting DNA test results to find out what animal the pelts had come from.

Source: BBC News | Comments (7)

Tags: Dartmoor

Comment icon #1 Posted by DumpsterJesus on 11 February, 2014, 12:55
When I first read the quoted section, I thought it said 'on the moon' not 'on the moor'. I thought to myself "Wait... WHAT?!" Thank goodness I did a double take. It's too early for me to be reading things.
Comment icon #2 Posted by moonshadow60 on 11 February, 2014, 13:00
Amazing! It is in a part of England that is dear to me, although I will never see it in person. My father's mother grew up in the south of Devon.
Comment icon #3 Posted by davros of skaro on 11 February, 2014, 13:38
Untainted goodies...Yay!
Comment icon #4 Posted by GreenmansGod on 11 February, 2014, 15:40
I wish there was a link with more pictures.
Comment icon #5 Posted by Zaranne on 12 February, 2014, 19:22
Jewellery...someone REALLY need to learn how to spell...
Comment icon #6 Posted by Eldorado on 12 February, 2014, 23:02
Jewellery...someone REALLY need to learn how to spell... tsk tsk The different spellings of jewellery in British and American English can cause confusion. The British spelling jewellery adds -lery to jewel, while the American spellin? jewelry adds -ry. http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/jewellery
Comment icon #7 Posted by Eldorado on 27 February, 2014, 16:24
I wish there was a link with more pictures. Short Video http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-devon-21442474 Pics http://www.megalithic.co.uk/article.php?sid=29778

Man has a live gecko removed from his ear
8-20-2017
A man in China got the surprise of his life after visiting the doctor with severe pain in his ear.
Three-mile-wide asteroid to pass by the Earth
8-20-2017
The huge space rock is due to pass within a safe distance of our planet at the beginning of September.
USS Indianapolis wreck found 70 years on
8-20-2017
The wreckage of a cruiser sank by a Japanese submarine 70 years ago has finally been discovered.
'Apocalyptic' cloud hangs over town in Brazil
8-19-2017
Residents of Teixeira de Freitas were treated to a rather unusual and unnerving spectacle this week.
The napkin ring problem
Posted 8-20-2017 | 0 comments
Why is it that any two 'napkin rings' cut from any sizes of spherical object will have equal volume ?

Why don't we use our parent's names?
Posted 8-19-2017 | 2 comments
Why do we call our parents mom and dad instead of using their actual names ?

Adam Savage meets an alien
Posted 8-18-2017 | 2 comments
The former MythBuster checks out the animatronic alien from the movie Alien Covenant.

A night that I will never forget
8-18-2017 | Massena, NY

Shapeshifter
8-18-2017 | Cranbrook British Columbia

Ghost experiences ?
8-11-2017 | United States

My real, true experiences
7-26-2017 | New Zealand

Incoming call
7-26-2017 | B.T. Collins Park: Folsom, CA

Three knocks woke me up twice
7-26-2017 | Virginia