Saturday, April 29, 2017

Archaeological treasures found on Dartmoor

Posted on Tuesday, 11 February, 2014 | Comment icon 7 comments

Looking out across the moor. Image Credit: CC BY-SA 3.0 Herbythyme
Jewellery, animal pelts and amber beads are among the finds retrieved from a 4,000-year-old tomb.
Considered by archaeologists to be the most significant discovery ever made on the moor, the chamber ( or "cist" ) on Whitehorse Hill was opened to reveal a remarkably well-preserved burial of cremated remains.

Wrapped in an animal pelt, the remains contained a number of artifacts including textiles, a coiled bag and a bracelet with tin beads, only 8 of which have been found on Dartmoor within the last century.

"Visibly it's not as impressive as Stonehenge, but archaeologically it's just as important," said chief archaeologist Jane Marchand.

Researchers are now awaiting DNA test results to find out what animal the pelts had come from.

Source: BBC News | Comments (7)

Tags: Dartmoor

Comment icon #1 Posted by DumpsterJesus on 11 February, 2014, 12:55
When I first read the quoted section, I thought it said 'on the moon' not 'on the moor'. I thought to myself "Wait... WHAT?!" Thank goodness I did a double take. It's too early for me to be reading things.
Comment icon #2 Posted by moonshadow60 on 11 February, 2014, 13:00
Amazing! It is in a part of England that is dear to me, although I will never see it in person. My father's mother grew up in the south of Devon.
Comment icon #3 Posted by davros of skaro on 11 February, 2014, 13:38
Untainted goodies...Yay!
Comment icon #4 Posted by GreenmansGod on 11 February, 2014, 15:40
I wish there was a link with more pictures.
Comment icon #5 Posted by Zaranne on 12 February, 2014, 19:22
Jewellery...someone REALLY need to learn how to spell...
Comment icon #6 Posted by Eldorado on 12 February, 2014, 23:02
Jewellery...someone REALLY need to learn how to spell... tsk tsk The different spellings of jewellery in British and American English can cause confusion. The British spelling jewellery adds -lery to jewel, while the American spellin? jewelry adds -ry. http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/jewellery
Comment icon #7 Posted by Eldorado on 27 February, 2014, 16:24
I wish there was a link with more pictures. Short Video http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-devon-21442474 Pics http://www.megalithic.co.uk/article.php?sid=29778

Time travel is 'mathematically possible'
4-29-2017
According to Professor Ben Tippett, traveling through time is not outside the realms of possibility.
Distant 'ice ball' exoplanet discovered
4-28-2017
Scientists have announced the discovery of a freezing Earth-mass world 13,000 light years away.
DNA of prehistoric humans found in caves
4-28-2017
Scientists have found a way to identify extinct species of human by analyzing the sediment inside caves.
Bermuda Triangle 'bubbles' theory debunked
4-28-2017
Physicist Helen Czerski has cast doubt on one of the most popular theories about the Bermuda Triangle.
Giant Rolo
Posted 4-29-2017 | 0 comments
Barry and James create the world's largest Rolo using piles and piles of chocolate.

Gliding leaf frogs
Posted 4-28-2017 | 0 comments
These remarkable amphibians use their webbed feet to help them glide through the air.

Venus flytrap anemone
Posted 4-27-2017 | 0 comments
A look at one particularly unusual creature which lives down at the bottom of the ocean.

Is the Boar Man real ?
4-26-2017 | Wichita Mountains, Oklahoma

Possessed boom box 1988
4-26-2017 | Santa Ana

Grandpa's visit
4-14-2017 | Portugal

Mysterious dog
4-14-2017 | Utah

A night to remember
4-14-2017 | Philippines

Am I going crazy ?
3-30-2017 | South Africa

Sleep paralysis or my father ?
3-30-2017 | Los Angeles