Saturday, November 18, 2017

Mystery object found on New Zealand beach

Posted on Sunday, 11 December, 2016 | Comment icon 24 comments

The object was found on Auckland's Muriwai Beach. Image Credit: Melissa Doubleday / Facebook
A shaggy object covered from top to bottom in barnacles has washed up on Muriwai Beach in Auckland.
The bizarre spectacle was photographed by local resident Melissa Doubleday who posted it up on the Muriwai & Waimauku Area Community Group Facebook page to ask for second opinions.

"Just curious to know if anyone knows what this is??! Washed up on Muriwai Beach," she wrote.

The image has since gone viral online with Internet users debating over what it could be. The suggestions so far have ranged from a washed up sea monster to a large piece of driftwood.

"I actually thought it was a washed up whale as I approached it, so weird," said Doubleday. "It looks like worms with shells I've never seen before with these funny creatures just [coming] out."

Source: Telegraph | Comments (24)

Tags: New Zealand, Beach

Comment icon #15 Posted by seanjo on 12 December, 2016, 11:27
It's a tree, probably a palm tree at a guess.
Comment icon #16 Posted by brlesq1 on 12 December, 2016, 12:08
It's alien. It's always aliens...
Comment icon #17 Posted by White Unicorn on 12 December, 2016, 14:35
I was waiting for that comment to come up LOL  It has to be an alien, I can see the lion-like face too. Look at the light brown patches, the 4th on the bottom. Instead of seeing aliens in rocks, now I can see them in barnacles. I'm sure some tabloids will run with that LOL.
Comment icon #18 Posted by roBORAT on 12 December, 2016, 19:29
What I don't understand is you see a strange one in a million object and you only photograph it once.
Comment icon #19 Posted by GiganticManchild on 12 December, 2016, 20:19
I think it looks like a tree trunk, with the root end nearest to the camera.
Comment icon #20 Posted by freetoroam on 12 December, 2016, 20:32
Gooseneck barnacles = not that uncommon, but what I do not understand is why she did not just remove a few to see what was underneath it? thats the strangest part of his story.
Comment icon #21 Posted by toast on 12 December, 2016, 23:34

Comment icon #22 Posted by Arbenol on 13 December, 2016, 0:53
I always wondered what happened to Whoopi Goldberg.
Comment icon #23 Posted by Sundew on 13 December, 2016, 3:23
An excellent guess. I just had a large one dug out of my yard after a storm toppled it. They have a fibrous root system, and the trunk is quite straight and long, very similar to what you see in the photo. They are buoyant as well; Gooseneck Barnacles are organisms of the surface waters, and of floating objects, you don't see them on a reef or underwater rocks. The down side for the organism is that they frequently get washed ashore and die from exposure.
Comment icon #24 Posted by curiouse on 13 December, 2016, 11:18
    My my guess would be a Palm Tree.??

Fireball lights up the night sky over Finland
11-18-2017
A time-lapse camera captured the moment an intense fireball streaked across the sky over Lapland.
China to build nuclear-powered space shuttle
11-17-2017
The long-term roadmap for China's space program has been revealed by one of its primary contractors.
Skepticism surrounds head transplant success
11-17-2017
Controversial surgeon Sergio Canavero claims that he has performed the first ever human head transplant.
Alien hunters send message to nearby system
11-17-2017
Astronomers are hoping to one day establish contact with an advanced extraterrestrial civilization.
Slow motion katana slice
Posted 11-18-2017 | 0 comments
The Slo Mo Guys attempt to slice through a row of water bottles using a katana sword.

What happened to the Library of Alexandria ?
Posted 11-17-2017 | 5 comments
What really happened to the vast wealth of knowledge stored in the ancient library ?

World's largest sticker ball
Posted 11-14-2017 | 1 comment
This enormous ball of stickers contains somewhere in the region of 200,000 stickers.

Caving claustrophobia
Posted 11-10-2017 | 12 comments
A montage of shots from caving in some of the most cramped conditions on Earth.

World's largest reptile zoo
Posted 11-4-2017 | 1 comment
Reptile Gardens in South Dakota has more species of reptile than any other zoo on the planet.

Strange occurrences
11-15-2017 | Fife

Mysterious music box song
11-15-2017 | U.S.A

Haunted military house
10-23-2017 | New Zealand

Sleep paralysis or real encounter?
10-18-2017 | United Kingdom

Ghost playing with a balloon?
10-18-2017 | Australia

Impossible phone call
10-18-2017 | West Virginia

Seeing cats
10-18-2017 | Santa Rosa

Fourth of July UFO show
10-18-2017 | Hillsboro ND

Guardian angel ?
9-13-2017 | Middle of nowhere Iowa

I'm not normal, but I'm not alone
9-13-2017 | South Africa