Saturday, July 22, 2017

Flatulent cows cause methane gas explosion

Posted on Wednesday, 29 January, 2014 | Comment icon 29 comments

Cows can output up to 500 liters of methane gas per day. Image Credit: Keith Weller/USDA
A herd of cows managed to cause a significant gas explosion on a dairy farm in Rasdorf, Germany.
Police investigating the peculiar incident concluded that a stray spark of static electricity had ignited a concentrated area of methane gas produced by the flatulent behavior of around 90 dairy cows. The subsequent explosion blew the roof off the building and injured one of the animals.

Cows are well known for their rather excessive production of methane, with some experts estimating that a single cow can produce anywhere between 100 and 500 liters of the volatile gas each day.

So significant is the problem in fact that some scientists believe methane emissions from cows have been a contributing factor in global warming.

Source: Huffington Post | Comments (29)

Tags: Cows, Methane, Explosion

Comment icon #20 Posted by Awake2Chaos on 30 January, 2014, 14:07
There are so many rare steak jokes......okay, no I won't go there. Too bad they didn't think to salvage that gas....coulda cooked with that for a month! (I'm being serious; http://www.wisconsin...ethane_gas.aspx )
Comment icon #21 Posted by Child of Bast on 30 January, 2014, 15:54
At least they didn't blame the farts on the family dog.
Comment icon #22 Posted by Princess Serenity on 31 January, 2014, 3:36
Beware the cow butt. It's powerful stuff, man.
Comment icon #23 Posted by JGirl on 31 January, 2014, 3:40
those crazy madcap cows!
Comment icon #24 Posted by justcalmebubba on 1 February, 2014, 22:30
cow farts its the new fuel for the new america so save gas fart in a jar
Comment icon #25 Posted by FizzPuff on 2 February, 2014, 3:35
Times like this I wish I was witty enough to come up with some puns.
Comment icon #26 Posted by cedarcarver1 on 4 February, 2014, 4:45
Lolololol! I've said this in another area, but, "Thank Goodness no one was injured! It'd be another tragedy for one or more of these bovines to be indicted for 'Moooo-der'." (there! I've said it! now I'm happy!)
Comment icon #27 Posted by :PsYKoTiC:BeHAvIoR: on 11 February, 2014, 16:14
Cow-Pow! I couldn't resist.
Comment icon #28 Posted by Hawkin on 15 February, 2014, 16:41
Comment icon #29 Posted by coldethyl on 22 February, 2014, 20:05
I have a propane tank. I wonder if I can convert to methane by running a hose to my tank to a cows butt and fill the tank. Yes, do this.

Mystery of Abe Lincoln's Bixby letter solved
7-21-2017
Forensic linguists have 'almost certainly' determined who really wrote the famous Civil War-era letter.
Free diver hits bottom of world's deepest pool
7-21-2017
A new video shows veteran free diver Guillaume Nery descending 131ft underwater on only one lungful of air.
SpaceX ditches plans for 2018 Mars landing
7-21-2017
Plans to land a modified version of the company's reusable Dragon capsule on Mars have been scrapped.
Today marks 48 years since first Moon landing
7-20-2017
Buzz Aldrin and Neil Armstrong made history when they set foot on the lunar surface 48 years ago today.
Dolphins beach themselves to catch fish
Posted 7-21-2017 | 0 comments

Do not microwave an airbag
Posted 7-20-2017 | 2 comments
The Slo Mo Guys capture what happens when you put an airbag in a microwave.

How do fireworks get their colors ?
Posted 7-19-2017 | 0 comments
Fireworks are well known for their colorful explosions, but where do the colors come from ?

The man who swims towards sharks
Posted 7-18-2017 | 1 comment
Marine biologist Yannis doesn't avoid sharks, he deliberately seeks them out.

Dog for mayor ?
Posted 7-17-2017 | 1 comment
What happens exactly when a town votes for a dog or a cat to be the mayor ? How does this work ?

Spider signs
7-21-2017 | Michigan

My ancestry is calling me
7-21-2017 | Morgan Hill, Ca

I can hear someone
6-27-2017 | Maryland

My dead father spoke to me
6-27-2017 | Alabama

Is my child predicting our death ?
6-27-2017 | Lincoln Park, MI