Friday, March 31, 2017

Flatulent cows cause methane gas explosion

Posted on Wednesday, 29 January, 2014 | Comment icon 29 comments

Cows can output up to 500 liters of methane gas per day. Image Credit: Keith Weller/USDA
A herd of cows managed to cause a significant gas explosion on a dairy farm in Rasdorf, Germany.
Police investigating the peculiar incident concluded that a stray spark of static electricity had ignited a concentrated area of methane gas produced by the flatulent behavior of around 90 dairy cows. The subsequent explosion blew the roof off the building and injured one of the animals.

Cows are well known for their rather excessive production of methane, with some experts estimating that a single cow can produce anywhere between 100 and 500 liters of the volatile gas each day.

So significant is the problem in fact that some scientists believe methane emissions from cows have been a contributing factor in global warming.

Source: Huffington Post | Comments (29)

Tags: Cows, Methane, Explosion

Comment icon #20 Posted by Awake2Chaos on 30 January, 2014, 14:07
There are so many rare steak jokes......okay, no I won't go there. Too bad they didn't think to salvage that gas....coulda cooked with that for a month! (I'm being serious; http://www.wisconsin...ethane_gas.aspx )
Comment icon #21 Posted by Child of Bast on 30 January, 2014, 15:54
At least they didn't blame the farts on the family dog.
Comment icon #22 Posted by Princess Serenity on 31 January, 2014, 3:36
Beware the cow butt. It's powerful stuff, man.
Comment icon #23 Posted by JGirl on 31 January, 2014, 3:40
those crazy madcap cows!
Comment icon #24 Posted by justcalmebubba on 1 February, 2014, 22:30
cow farts its the new fuel for the new america so save gas fart in a jar
Comment icon #25 Posted by FizzPuff on 2 February, 2014, 3:35
Times like this I wish I was witty enough to come up with some puns.
Comment icon #26 Posted by cedarcarver1 on 4 February, 2014, 4:45
Lolololol! I've said this in another area, but, "Thank Goodness no one was injured! It'd be another tragedy for one or more of these bovines to be indicted for 'Moooo-der'." (there! I've said it! now I'm happy!)
Comment icon #27 Posted by :PsYKoTiC:BeHAvIoR: on 11 February, 2014, 16:14
Cow-Pow! I couldn't resist.
Comment icon #28 Posted by Hawkin on 15 February, 2014, 16:41
Comment icon #29 Posted by coldethyl on 22 February, 2014, 20:05
I have a propane tank. I wonder if I can convert to methane by running a hose to my tank to a cows butt and fill the tank. Yes, do this.

James Webb telescope to undergo testing
3-30-2017
The successor to the Hubble Space Telescope is set to be placed inside a huge thermal vacuum chamber.
Tyrannosaurs used 'sixth sense' to hunt prey
3-30-2017
The giant two-legged carnivores of the Cretaceous had more than just big teeth and jaws in their arsenal.
'Miraculous' find of rare tigers in Thailand
3-30-2017
Scientists have confirmed the discovery of ten ultra-rare Indochinese tigers in Thailand's eastern jungle.
Man eats pancakes in the middle of the road
3-29-2017
A prankster was charged this week after being filmed tucking in to pancakes at a busy intersection.
Featured book

By Guy Lyon Playfair
A look at the story of Peggy Hodgson and her four children who, between 1977 and 1979, were at the center of one of the most terrifying poltergeist cases ever documented.
Man climbs stairs on his head
Posted 3-30-2017 | 4 comments
China's Li Longlong breaks a world record by climbing up a staircase standing on his head.

Bird of paradise courtship spectacle
Posted 3-29-2017 | 0 comments
A look at the extreme lengths birds of paradise go to in order to attract a mate.

Mythical monsters
Posted 3-28-2017 | 1 comment
Jeremy Wade investigates the stories behind some of the world's best known monster myths.

6ft rockets in slow motion
Posted 3-27-2017 | 0 comments
The Slo Mo Guys use their high-speed camera to record some rocket launches.

Most watched animal on YouTube
Posted 3-26-2017 | 2 comments
Maru the cat has accumulated more views than any other animal on the video sharing site.

Am I going crazy ?
3-30-2017 | South Africa

Sleep paralysis or my father ?
3-30-2017 | Los Angeles