Tuesday, July 26, 2016

Flatulent cows cause methane gas explosion

Posted on Wednesday, 29 January, 2014 | Comment icon 29 comments

Cows can output up to 500 liters of methane gas per day. Image Credit: Keith Weller/USDA
A herd of cows managed to cause a significant gas explosion on a dairy farm in Rasdorf, Germany.
Police investigating the peculiar incident concluded that a stray spark of static electricity had ignited a concentrated area of methane gas produced by the flatulent behavior of around 90 dairy cows. The subsequent explosion blew the roof off the building and injured one of the animals.

Cows are well known for their rather excessive production of methane, with some experts estimating that a single cow can produce anywhere between 100 and 500 liters of the volatile gas each day.

So significant is the problem in fact that some scientists believe methane emissions from cows have been a contributing factor in global warming.

Source: Huffington Post | Comments (29)

Tags: Cows, Methane, Explosion

Comment icon #20 Posted by Awake2Chaos on 30 January, 2014, 14:07
There are so many rare steak jokes......okay, no I won't go there. Too bad they didn't think to salvage that gas....coulda cooked with that for a month! (I'm being serious; http://www.wisconsin...ethane_gas.aspx )
Comment icon #21 Posted by Child of Bast on 30 January, 2014, 15:54
At least they didn't blame the farts on the family dog.
Comment icon #22 Posted by Princess Serenity on 31 January, 2014, 3:36
Beware the cow butt. It's powerful stuff, man.
Comment icon #23 Posted by JGirl on 31 January, 2014, 3:40
those crazy madcap cows!
Comment icon #24 Posted by justcalmebubba on 1 February, 2014, 22:30
cow farts its the new fuel for the new america so save gas fart in a jar
Comment icon #25 Posted by FizzPuff on 2 February, 2014, 3:35
Times like this I wish I was witty enough to come up with some puns.
Comment icon #26 Posted by cedarcarver1 on 4 February, 2014, 4:45
Lolololol! I've said this in another area, but, "Thank Goodness no one was injured! It'd be another tragedy for one or more of these bovines to be indicted for 'Moooo-der'." (there! I've said it! now I'm happy!)
Comment icon #27 Posted by :PsYKoTiC:BeHAvIoR: on 11 February, 2014, 16:14
Cow-Pow! I couldn't resist.
Comment icon #28 Posted by Hawkin on 15 February, 2014, 16:41
Comment icon #29 Posted by coldethyl on 22 February, 2014, 20:05
I have a propane tank. I wonder if I can convert to methane by running a hose to my tank to a cows butt and fill the tank. Yes, do this.

Mystery surrounds missing craters on Ceres
7-26-2016
Scientists have been attempting to determine why the dwarf planet Ceres has no large craters at all.
Cockroach milk: the future's health drink ?
7-26-2016
New research suggests that cockroaches produce milk that is three times more nutritious than cow's milk.
Solar Impulse completes historic global trip
7-26-2016
The aircraft, which is powered entirely by the sun, has succeeded in flying around the entire world.
NASA to digitize data from Viking landers
7-25-2016
The data recorded during the historic Viking Mars missions is set to be archived in digital form.
Walking over light bulbs
Posted 7-26-2016 | 1 comment
This skilled Chinese woman succeeds in walking across light bulbs for 20 meters.

Are great leaders born or made ?
Posted 7-25-2016 | 7 comments
What does it take to be a great leader and how does one go about accomplishing that ?

Real-life Pokemon
Posted 7-24-2016 | 1 comment
Are there any animals in the real world that could be considered actual real-life Pokemon ?

Trans-Atlantic solar powered flight
Posted 7-23-2016 | 0 comments
A look at Solar Impulse 2, the aircraft that crossed the Atlantic using the power of the sun.

The Earth from space
Posted 7-22-2016 | 0 comments
A view of our home planet as seen through the EPIC camera on the NOAA's DSCOVR satellite

Light in Orion
7-23-2016 | Tampa, Florida

Girl with the broken neck
7-23-2016 | Mississippi

Holes in cotton clothing
7-23-2016 | Somerset, UK

Three knocks in the night
6-28-2016 | Cedar City, Utah