Wednesday, December 7, 2016

Flatulent cows cause methane gas explosion

Posted on Wednesday, 29 January, 2014 | Comment icon 29 comments

Cows can output up to 500 liters of methane gas per day. Image Credit: Keith Weller/USDA
A herd of cows managed to cause a significant gas explosion on a dairy farm in Rasdorf, Germany.
Police investigating the peculiar incident concluded that a stray spark of static electricity had ignited a concentrated area of methane gas produced by the flatulent behavior of around 90 dairy cows. The subsequent explosion blew the roof off the building and injured one of the animals.

Cows are well known for their rather excessive production of methane, with some experts estimating that a single cow can produce anywhere between 100 and 500 liters of the volatile gas each day.

So significant is the problem in fact that some scientists believe methane emissions from cows have been a contributing factor in global warming.

Source: Huffington Post | Comments (29)

Tags: Cows, Methane, Explosion

Comment icon #20 Posted by Awake2Chaos on 30 January, 2014, 14:07
There are so many rare steak jokes......okay, no I won't go there. Too bad they didn't think to salvage that gas....coulda cooked with that for a month! (I'm being serious; http://www.wisconsin...ethane_gas.aspx )
Comment icon #21 Posted by Child of Bast on 30 January, 2014, 15:54
At least they didn't blame the farts on the family dog.
Comment icon #22 Posted by Princess Serenity on 31 January, 2014, 3:36
Beware the cow butt. It's powerful stuff, man.
Comment icon #23 Posted by JGirl on 31 January, 2014, 3:40
those crazy madcap cows!
Comment icon #24 Posted by justcalmebubba on 1 February, 2014, 22:30
cow farts its the new fuel for the new america so save gas fart in a jar
Comment icon #25 Posted by FizzPuff on 2 February, 2014, 3:35
Times like this I wish I was witty enough to come up with some puns.
Comment icon #26 Posted by cedarcarver1 on 4 February, 2014, 4:45
Lolololol! I've said this in another area, but, "Thank Goodness no one was injured! It'd be another tragedy for one or more of these bovines to be indicted for 'Moooo-der'." (there! I've said it! now I'm happy!)
Comment icon #27 Posted by :PsYKoTiC:BeHAvIoR: on 11 February, 2014, 16:14
Cow-Pow! I couldn't resist.
Comment icon #28 Posted by Hawkin on 15 February, 2014, 16:41
Comment icon #29 Posted by coldethyl on 22 February, 2014, 20:05
I have a propane tank. I wonder if I can convert to methane by running a hose to my tank to a cows butt and fill the tank. Yes, do this.

Loch Ness Monster sightings are on the rise
12-7-2016
There have been more sightings of the elusive creature this year than during any other this millennium.
Earth to see 25-hour days as rotation slows
12-7-2016
Scientists have been attempting to work out how long it will take for us to gain an extra hour per day.
Germany's nuclear fusion reactor really works
12-6-2016
Scientists have confirmed that the experimental machine is operating with 'unprecedented accuracy'.
Mysterious 'sea blob' sighted after 100 years
12-6-2016
A strange-looking invertebrate has been spotted by a deep-sea ROV over a century after its discovery.
Featured book

By Toryn Chapman
Campbell Mackenzie is a successful lawyer with occasional feelings of déjà vu. There's just one problem, though - it's not déjà vu.
What happens when you swallow gum ?
Posted 12-7-2016 | 3 comments
Ever swallowed a piece of chewing gum by accident ? Here's what happens.

Indestructible coating ?
Posted 12-6-2016 | 4 comments
A look at polyurea, an elastomer that can make objects extremely difficult to damage.

World's longest shout
Posted 12-5-2016 | 1 comment
Christian Kinner from Germany managed to shout for over 43 seconds non-stop.

Top 10 facts about James Webb Telescope
Posted 12-4-2016 | 0 comments
A look at the upcoming orbital observatory and what it will see in the depths of space.

Jumping widowbirds
Posted 12-3-2016 | 2 comments
These male widowbirds are competing to see which of them can jump the highest.

Not my daughter