Saturday, October 31, 2020

Will cats ever be as domesticated as dogs ?

Posted on Sunday, 16 November, 2014 | Comment icon 41 comments

Cats are less domesticated than dogs. Image Credit: sxc.hu
A new study has revealed that household cats, unlike dogs, are likely to be only semi-domesticated.
Despite sharing our homes for more than 9,000 years, cats have never reached the same level of domestication commonly seen in their canine counterparts.

Scientists working on a cat genome sequencing project compared the genomes of domestic cats with those of wild cats and discovered that our feline companions are not as far removed from their wild counterparts as had been previously believed.

"Cats, unlike dogs, are really only semi-domesticated," said senior study author Wes Warren. "They only recently split off from wild cats, and some even still breed with their wild relatives."
It is thought that humans originally started to domesticate cats because they provided a valuable service in keeping rats and other pests away from grain and other food supplies.

The cats in turn would have stuck around because they were rewarded with food for their efforts.

"Our results suggest that selection for docility, as a result of becoming accustomed to humans for food rewards, was most likely the major force that altered the first domesticated cat genomes," said Warren.

Source: Independent | Comments (41)

Tags: Cats, Dogs

Comment icon #32 Posted by SolarPlexus on 18 November, 2014, 0:00
lol! well done
Comment icon #33 Posted by Stubbly_Dooright on 18 November, 2014, 1:11
this study is totally wrong I've had dogs my entire life I never wanted a cat 3 years ago someone gave me a cat and I ended up keeping it my cat follows me around everywhere I go if I move you she moves with me just like all my dogs have in the past she even sleeps on the floor next to my bed on a pillow just like all my dogs used to she even listens to me by pointing at something and making a noise with my mouth and she realizes I want her to go there or move there or do something I basically raised her like a dog because I've only ever had dogs my whole life in my honest opinion she's just a... [More]
Comment icon #34 Posted by shrooma on 18 November, 2014, 1:30
I grew up to cats. I really thing it's different on a personality basis. Just like humans. I think that is the same with dogs. And horses. Which ever, your post reminds me of kind of my situation, but reversed. We have had three cats, until we ended getting a Golden Retriever. He pretty much acts like a cat half the time. With my three, they are so different. The only male cat is so affectionate and so domesticated, I agree whole heartily on your assessment. The two female are just as different. Our dog and our three cats have instantly come to my side, when I am down. I really don't think it'... [More]
Comment icon #35 Posted by Frank Merton on 18 November, 2014, 1:47
Cats are wonderful, sensitive creatures, but they don't live long if you don't keep them indoors and are a terror to the local birds. Fortunately my house is many stories with lots of balconies and elevated places (cats prefer to look down on you). I think a female should be allowed one litter and then sterilized; males should not be allowed even that as so many of them pick up the habit of spraying if they are not caught and sterilized early. In the end the animal is happier without the drive of the reproductive instinct leading it to self-destructive behavior. Probably people would be too bu... [More]
Comment icon #36 Posted by Likely Guy on 18 November, 2014, 4:27
Frank, you live in a menagerie. All that I know about this little male tom, Bones, is that is that he's fearless. I've seen him face down, or chase away as well as 'go ninja cat' (if challenged, never harming) on every dog that was on my porch long before he was. He didn't give them a reason to chase him. Now he gives them head bumps and rubs. 'Max', the oldest and largest dog (about 150 lbs.) that comes for a visit gives him allll the room he wants and still checks him out first when Max comes in. Max: *tail wag* Bones: *head bump*
Comment icon #37 Posted by Likely Guy on 18 November, 2014, 4:39
I love dogs, but have a hard time respecting, or wanting to share my space with an animal that pays no attention to where it sh()ts. Ever since my Cat started to get better he's done everything outside. Edit: He had a litter box for a few weeks and has never used it since.
Comment icon #38 Posted by Stubbly_Dooright on 18 November, 2014, 9:45
. yes, SDR (is that right? I don't know how to abbreviate your name?!), Cool! Yeah, SDR will do just fine! she's just like that- but more viciouserer.. No3 on that link you posted though was 'how to hide a fart in public' . . why would you want to? . . hide it, I mean....... . Oh, I didn't realize he had other videos. I should have known. You remind me of my husband. (cats prefer to look down on you). That is so true!!!! I think a female should be allowed one litter and then sterilized; males should not be allowed even that as so many of them pick up the habit of spraying if they are not caugh... [More]
Comment icon #39 Posted by Whatsinausername on 18 November, 2014, 10:31
Comment icon #40 Posted by Calibeliever on 18 November, 2014, 17:38
I'm a cat guy but I don't really think of cats as domesticated. I wouldn't own a 100 pound cat no matter what the breed. I'd be lunch. Dog - pack animal Cat - opportunist
Comment icon #41 Posted by quiXilver on 18 November, 2014, 19:32
hell no

Self-driving race car crashes before race starts
10-31-2020
An autonomous car taking part in the recent Roborace event managed to crash before crossing the start line.
Doctor pays $41,500 for 'wish-granting lamp'
10-31-2020
A physician in India was conned into paying a huge sum for a magic lamp that he was told could grant wishes.
New York man falls into sinkhole full of rats
10-30-2020
A man who had been waiting for a bus was unaware of the nightmare scenario he was about to experience.
Rogue world found drifting through the galaxy
10-30-2020
Astronomers have discovered an Earth-sized world that is drifting freely through the cosmos without a parent star.
Ghost following me
9-18-2020 | Iowa

Mysterious glowing cube
8-23-2020 | Alabama

Black blob in my room/bed
7-23-2020 | Powell,TN U.S.

Transparent levitating ball